Articles: A, An, The
A, An mean One
A precedes a singular countable noun beginning with consonant sound:
A teacher, a lake, a city
An is used before a singular countable noun beginning with vowel sound :
An apple, an egg, an orange
But a university (“u” here is long)
The is used to denote something already known or is common knowledge
I saw a boy. The boy was playing tennis.
The moon goes around the sun.
Use The with
· Earth, moon: the earth, the moon
· Ranges of mountains: the Himalaya, thee Rocky Mountains
· Ocean , seas, rivers, plural lakes, gulfs: the pacific ocean, the red sea, the Mediterranean, the Great lakes, the Oman gulf
· Ordinal numbers before nouns: the second page, the first lesson
· Decades : the 1970’s , the 1990’s
· Schools, colleges, universities, when the phrase begins with school , college , university.. e.g The college of science, the university of Cairo
· Wars ( except world wars) : the Vietnam War, the Crimean War
· Certain countries with more than one word: the U.S.A , the U.A.E ( but
· Ethnic groups : the Japanese, the Indians
· Historical documents : the constitution , the Magna Carta
Do not use The with
· Lunch, breakfast, home, market, school, hospital, church
· Cardinal numbers after nouns: section four, lesson two
· Countries with one word: Germany, France, Egypt, India
· Sports: football, basketball, tennis….
· Abstract nouns: library, beauty, honestly
· Mount: Mount Everest, Mount Vesuvius
· Singular lakes: lake superior, lake Geneva….